About Label Inquiry by bw166
The total beverage alcohol market continues to see more and more products released each year; coupled with ever-changing consumer demand and category blurring, maintaining awareness of competitive launches is all the more critical. Label Inquiry by bw166 provides a single interface and tool to search through the publicly filed Certificate of Label Approval (COLA) with the TTB.
- Updated daily with latest filings
- Dynamically search filings
- COLAs available across Beer, Spirits, and Wine
- Multiple filter criteria included: date, class, origin, varietal, and more
- Additional filter on predominant color used in front label
- Search results as either Label View (grid of images) or Results View (data table view)
- Export results to Excel for further analysis
- OCR/text recognition completed on all labels to further enhance search
Notes on Demo Version
This is a demo of the full version of the Label Inquiry tool. The demo is limited in that only COLAs with an approval date in 2018 are searchable and retrievable. Other than the limited data set, all functionality is the same as the full subscriber-only version. For more details and to subscribe, please click here.
Help with Label Inquiry by bw166
The below provides a primary overview of what's included in Label Inquiry by bw166.
Using the Text Search field, users can search for the occurence of a particular word or words anywhere on the label. Results are based on an OCR scan of all the label images and text included in the COLA filing. Alternatively, this search can be limited to specific fields (Brand and Company) to further fine tune the results.
Additionally, bw166 analyzes all colors deployed on each label, allowing customers to filter for specific predominant color choices. For instance, one can search for all labels where Blue is the dominant color. Combined with the other filters (outlined below) bw166 customers have a unique ability to search and sift through competetive labels.
Data View vs. Label View
Results can be viewed in one of two ways. Each view is limited to the latest 10,000 labels that match the search criteria.
- Data View Interface - provides a simple data table with multiple fields visibile
- Image View Interface - displays the label images themselves
About the Available Filters
- Date Range - dynamically adjust the crtieria based on when a label was approved
- Category - filter on beer, spirits, and/or wine
- Class/Type - TTB's product classification
- Domestic/Import - based on product's origin
- Origin - state for domestic products and country for import products
- Appellation - only populates for wine labels where designated on the COLA
- Company - entity directly on the COLA
- Brand - brand name directly on the COLA
- Fanciful Name - additional product description directly on the COLA
- Label Color - the predominant color of the label
Download to CSV
Search results can be downloaded to a CSV file for use in Excel for analytics or sharing. These results are limited to the latest 10,000 labels that match the search crtieria.